Broken Dams and Wastelands
Dr. Peter Carter, Paul Beckwith and Regina Valdez discuss the recent climate catastrophes that occurred as a result of Storm Daniel in both Libya and Greece.
This video was recorded on September 20th, 2023, and published on September 24th, 2023.
Some of the topics discussed:
- Details about the scale of the disasters in Libya and Greece including mention of an infrastructure failure in Libya due to dam problems.
- Emphasis on the need to improve city infrastructure to avoid future climate catastrophes.
- Acknowledgment of numerous reported deaths in the Libyan disaster.
- Concerns raised about the environmental impact of chemicals washed into the seas including plastic waste.
- Climate change’s role in the two catastrophes citing attribution of the disasters to global surface warming along with the Mediterranean’s role in amplifying storm Daniel.
- Concerns about the economic costs of recovery in Greece and Libya.
- The link between fossil fuel emissions, food, and global climate events.
- Highlighting the need for individuals to control their diets amid climate change.
- A call for rapid resource allocation for disaster response and the importance of upgrading public health services for climate-related emergencies.
- The need for global cooperation in addressing climate risks and hazards.
- An analogy of hitting the snooze button is used to describe our slow response to the climate crisis and the potential consequences of ignoring climate change threats.
- The importance of local risk assessment and preparation for climate-induced disasters.
- Concerns about the rise in climate refugees and potential border closures and the acknowledgment of the harsh future that may result from abrupt climate change.
- and much more . . .
Dr. Peter Carter - MD, Expert IPCC Reviewer and the director of the Climate Emergency Institute
Paul Beckwith - Climate Systems Scientist. Professor at the University of Ottawa’s Paleoclimatology Laboratory as well as at Carleton University
Regina Valdez - Program Director, Climate Reality Project, NYC. GreenFaith Fellow and LEED Green Associate
Charles Gregoire – Climate Reality Leader, Electrical Engineer, Webmaster and IT prime for FacingFuture.Earth and the Climate Emergency Forum
Heidi Brault - Climate Reality Leader, BA(Psychology), Library & Information Technician Diploma - Video production and website assistant - Organizer and convener, Metadata technician, COP28 Team Lead for FacingFuture.Earth and the Climate Emergency Forum.
Image and Video: