Dr. Peter Carter, Paul Beckwith and Regina Valdez discuss flooding and recent flooding events in China, Slovenia, Chile, Norway, Canada, Ireland and the U.S.
This video was recorded on August 23rd, 2023, and published on August 27th, 2023.
Some of the topics discussed:
- How as the atmosphere warms it holds more moisture and as a consequence this means that there is more moisture that can come down upon us in the form of rain.
- The difference between pluvial and coastal flooding.
- The ways we can mitigate the dangers of floods.
- How a paper from 2013 provided information on the global flood risk and how it predicts that increased flooding is going to happen anywhere and everywhere.
- How Slovenia was hit hard with about two-thirds of the country being affected by massive flooding with rivers that overflowed their banks inundating towns along its path resulting in a huge amount of infrastructure damage, which will take years to recover from.
- How it is possible to become proactive in reducing flood damage by calculating the parts of rivers that will burst their banks, and harden the infrastructure in these areas to reduce the amount of damage occurring.
- How bioswales can be used to improve the drainage in areas of cities to help reduce flood damage.
- and much more . . .
Dr. Peter Carter - MD, Expert IPCC Reviewer and the director of the Climate Emergency Institute
Paul Beckwith - Climate Systems Scientist. Professor at the University of Ottawa’s Paleoclimatology Laboratory as well as at Carleton University
Regina Valdez - Program Director, Climate Reality Project, NYC. GreenFaith Fellow and LEED Green Associate
Charles Gregoire – Climate Reality Leader, Electrical Engineer, Webmaster and IT prime for FacingFuture.Earth and the Climate Emergency Forum
Heidi Brault - Climate Reality Leader, BA(Psychology), Library & Information Technician Diploma - Video production and website assistant - Organizer and convener, Metadata technician, COP28 Team Lead for FacingFuture.Earth and the Climate Emergency Forum.
Image and Video: