The Legal Battle to Save the World
Join special guests Dan Galpern and Donn Viviani of the Climate Protection & Restoration Initiative as they discuss the actions they’ve taken since the EPA’s rejection of their petition to phase out greenhouse gas emissions with Dr. Peter Carter, Paul Beckwith and Charles Gregoire of the Climate Emergency Forum.
This video was recorded on December 2nd, 2022, and published on December 15th, 2022.
Some of the topics discussed:
- The CPR Initiative petition to phase out greenhouse gas emissions which was submitted to the EPA on June 16th, 2022 and the actions that CPR Initiative has taken since culminating in a lawsuit filed against the EPA on November 12th, 2022.
- A description of the plaintiffs of the lawsuit.
- Other actions taken by the CPR Initiative which included a Freedom of Information Act request for information from the EPA on the details of their analysis which led to the rejection of the petition on September 14th. CPR also held its first public hearing on the fundamental question: “What more should the United States be doing to address the climate crisis?” in Boulder, Colorado on November 1st.
- The need for ongoing public support of the CPR Initiative. This is a very important call to action. CPR is inviting you to strongly consider visiting their website at https://cprclimate.org to endorse the petition and make a donation to fund the critical legal work they are performing to save the world.
- The need to set a carbon fee.
- How the Inflation Reduction Act falls short of what is needed to adequately reduce GHG emissions.
- The importance and reason why the U.S. should lead the efforts to reduce GHG emissions.
- and more. . .
Dan Galpern - Attorney at Law, Legal and policy adviser to climate scientist James Hansen.
Don Viviani - 35 year EPA Veteran, PHD Organic Chemistry.
Dr. Peter Carter - MD, Expert IPCC Reviewer and the director of the Climate Emergency Institute
Paul Beckwith - Climate Systems Scientist. Professor at the University of Ottawa’s Paleoclimatology Laboratory as well as at Carleton University
Charles Gregoire - Climate Reality Leader, Electrical Engineer, Webmaster and IT prime for FacingFuture.Earth and the Climate Emergency Forum
Heidi Brault - Climate Reality Leader, BA(Psychology), Library & Information Technician Diploma - Video production and website assistant - Organizer and convener, Metadata technician, COP26 Team Lead for FacingFuture.Earth and the Climate Emergency Forum.
Image and Video: