Death by Fossil Fuel Subsidies
Dr. Peter Carter, Paul Beckwith and Regina Valdez discuss the urgent need for governments to stop subsidizing the fossil fuel industry.
This video was recorded on September 24th, 2021, and published on February 19th, 2022.
Some of the topics discussed:
- How Exxon has known about the consequences of burning their product for almost 40 years.
- How our very own governments continue to subsidize the fossil fuel industry and how big banks continue to finance their projects.
- The fact that the US Military is one of the largest single consumers of energy in the world.
- How the fossil fuel and automotive industries promoted a car culture in the US.
- How fossil fuel emissions account for over 10 million deaths per year.
- How very few environmental organizations list fossil fuel subsidies as a major cause of pollution.
- The need to implement a carbon fee and dividend to incentivize renewable alternatives to burning fossil fuels.
- How difficult a job it is to account for all the subsidies given to the fossil fuel industries.
- How fossil fuel companies used the top PR agencies in the world to suppress knowledge and studies so that they could continue on with their business as usual.
- How it really isn’t getting across that getting to zero emissions by 2070, which is what’s required to keep warming to 2 C, cannot be done while governments are subsidizing fossil fuels.
- and more. . .
Dr. Peter Carter - MD, Expert IPCC Reviewer and the director of the Climate Emergency Institute
Paul Beckwith - Climate Systems Scientist. Professor at the University of Ottawa’s Paleoclimatology Laboratory as well as at Carleton University
Regina Valdez - Program Director, Climate Reality Project, NYC. GreenFaith Fellow and LEED Green Associate
Charles Gregoire – Climate Reality Leader, Electrical Engineer, Webmaster and IT prime for FacingFuture.Earth and the Climate Emergency Forum
Heidi Brault - Climate Reality Leader, BA(Psychology), Library & Information Technician Diploma - Video production and website assistant - Organizer and convener, Metadata technician, COP26 Team Lead for FacingFuture.Earth and the Climate Emergency Forum.
Image and Video: