Plant Based for the Planet
Join Dr. Peter Carter, Paul Beckwith and Regina Valdez as they discuss the benefits of moving to a more plant-based diet for the health of the planet as well as for oneself.
This video was recorded on May 21st, 2021, and published on February 5th, 2022.
Some of the topics discussed:
- How World Watch Magazine calculates the livestock sector is responsible for 51% of human-caused greenhouse gas emissions
- The UN estimates that food systems account for over one-third of global greenhouse gas emissions contributing to climate disruption. Also the feedback loop of how this climate disruption adversely affects our food production.
- How it has been known for decades that the healthiest diet that human beings can eat is a vegetarian diet with a very modest amount of dairy and that the healthiest diet for the planet is vegan which means no meat, fish or dairy.
- How the lower we can eat on the food chain the better it is for the planet and the more food will be available. Becoming vegetarians, or at least eating meat a lot less frequently will result in a more plentiful food supply.
- How as much as 30% or more of the food we produce is wasted.
- How the rising global average temperature will have a negative impact on plant growth lowering crop yields.
- How adopting a vegetarian diet that is very very low on meat and dairy reduces the risk of developing diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
- The phenomenon of biomagnification which causes toxins to be more concentrated in the tissues of the animals we eat.
- The importance of drinking enough water.
Dr. Peter Carter - MD, Expert IPCC Reviewer and the director of the Climate Emergency Institute
Paul Beckwith - Climate Systems Scientist. Professor at the University of Ottawa’s Paleoclimatology Laboratory as well as at Carleton University
Regina Valdez - Program Director, Climate Reality Project, NYC. GreenFaith Fellow and LEED Green Associate
Charles Gregoire – Climate Reality Leader, Electrical Engineer, Webmaster and IT prime for FacingFuture.Earth and the Climate Emergency Forum
Heidi Brault - Climate Reality Leader, BA(Psychology), Library & Information Technician Diploma - Video production and website assistant - Organizer and convener, Metadata technician, COP26 Team Lead for FacingFuture.Earth and the Climate Emergency Forum.
Image and Video: