Ocean Pasture Carbon Capture
Paul Beckwith and Regina Valdez discuss the topic of Ocean Pasture Restoration with special guest Alex Carlin. The key point is the capacity to capture carbon rests primarily within the oceans, as opposed to land based forests which have far less capacity to do the job. This video is a relatively upbeat one given the dire nature of the Climate Emergency.
This video was recorded on Aug 6th, 2021, initially published on August 13th, 2021, and republished on Sep 28th, 2021 with an improved audio track.
Topics discussed include the following:
- In addition to drawing down emissions to zero the need to implement Climate Restoration is discussed and focuses on Ocean Pasture Restoration (OPR).
- Alex learned about OPR through Russ George, one of its major proponents.
- A major clarification that OPR is performed only in the deep ocean, not in the shallow coastal areas, which is a major source of misconceptions by its nay sayers.
- Relative to the Amazon Rainforest, the oceans hold 50 times the capacity to capture carbon. This is a good news story because the timeline for OPR to capture this carbon is immensely shorter and it is much less expensive than land based solutions such as planting trees.
- Alex performs his climate song.
- Stuart Scott (1948 - 2021), of UPFSI.org, and FacingFuture.earth, is acknowledged for his contribution to bringing the team together that produced this video along with an excellent video on the topic of OPR available at FacingFuture.TV
Special Guest: Alex Carlin
- Foreign Correspondent for the Center for Media and Democracy (CMD)
Alex an American who currently resides in Moscow, Russia and has a Bachelors degree in Russian Literature. He is also a Musician.
- Climate Systems Scientist. Professor at the University of Ottawa in the Paleoclimatology Laboratory as well as at Carleton University
- Program Director, Climate Reality Project, NYC. GreenFaith Fellow and LEED Green Associate
Charles Gregoire – Climate Reality Leader, Electrical Engineer, Webmaster and IT prime for FacingFuture.Earth and the Climate Emergency Forum
Heidi Brault - Climate Reality Leader, BA(Psychology), Library & Information Technician Diploma - Video production and website assistant - Organizer and convener, Metadata technician, COP26 Team Lead for FacingFuture.Earth and the Climate Emergency Forum.
Image and Video: