Transition to a New Ecological Civilization
Join Guy Dauncey, speaker, author, futurist, and anthropological economist in Part 2 of a two-video series on the Transition to a New Ecological Civilization (NEC). Guy both presents and also discusses the principles behind this transition with our regular panelists Dr. Peter Carter, Paul Beckwith and Regina Valdez.
Many aspects of this transition are discussed including:
- The serious nature of both the Climate and Biodiversity Emergencies and the urgent need to address them in a meaningful way.
- The need to consider the vision of an amazing future when we make the transition an ecological civilization. As we implement the known climate solutions and the known ecological restoration solutions to protect the biodiversity, you end up with a world that is plenteous and rich in a non-monetary sense.
- The fact that we are living in the most critical decade in our whole civilization and comparing this to the 1940s when there was an urgent call to stop the Nazis.
- Discusses the many facets of new ecological civilization such as the conversion to renewable energy (100% by 2040), tree planting, urban farms and comparing these imperatives to the New Deal of the 1930s under FDR.
- Energy descent being offset by increases in efficiency.
- A new charter for businesses which, in addition to making a profit, includes serving community, workers and nature.
- Building Community Wealth which includes affordable housing, transportation, child care as well as guaranteed jobs. The CPR is mentioned which in this context is Cooperative Public Renewal.
- The carbon tax and the question of how the tax collected is spent.
- Entropy versus syntropy…setting up a community economic development cooperation.
- How covid is forcing us to think together as a planet.
- Purposeful work and how it enables a simpler lower consumption lifes.
- The role of social media and the need to for regulation to stop the spread of lies and myths.
- The benefits of being a vegetarian.
- Guy Dauncey – Sociologist, Author, Futurist, Anthropological Economist and Organizer. Guy works to develop a positive vision of a beautiful, kind, sustainable future, to translate that vision into action, and to demonstrate it in his personal relationships. He lives in Yellow Point, near Ladysmith, British Columbia, Canada.
Dr. Peter Carter - MD, Expert IPCC Reviewer and the director of the Climate Emergency Institute
Paul Beckwith - Climate Systems Scientist. Professor at the University of Ottawa’s Paleoclimatology Laboratory as well as at Carleton University
Regina Valdez - Program Director, Climate Reality Project, NYC. GreenFaith Fellow and LEED Green Associate
Charles Gregoire – Climate Reality Leader, Electrical Engineer, Webmaster and IT prime for FacingFuture.Earth and the Climate Emergency Forum
Heidi Brault - Climate Reality Leader, BA(Psychology), Library & Information Technician Diploma - Video production and website assistant - Organizer and convener, Metadata technician, COP26 Team Lead for FacingFuture.Earth and the Climate Emergency Forum.
Image and Video: