Transition to a New Ecological Civilization
Join Guy Dauncey, speaker, author, futurist, and anthropological economist in the first of two videos on the Transition to a New Ecological Civilization (NEC). Guy both presents and also discusses the principles behind this transition with our regular panelists Dr. Peter Carter, Paul Beckwith and Regina Valdez.
Many aspects of this transition are discussed including:
- The serious nature of both the Climate and Biodiversity Emergencies and the urgent need to address them in a meaningful way.
- The need to consider the vision of an amazing future when we transition to an ecological civilization rather than just focusing on the very serious impacts of our current trajectory.
- The acknowledgement of our integration with and dependence on other species as a part of our natural environment.
- The importance of understanding the power of our story and the need to change it. The key that holds a civilization together is the ‘Story’ that the people believe in and how it frames our purpose and the fact that we have agency to determine where we’re going.
- The anthropological roots of the current Neo-liberal/Neoclassical economic system, which is one of the 4 causes of our dilemma.
- The Economics of Kindness premised on cooperation verses the current economic system which is premised on domination.
- The need to integrate ecological knowledge into our educational system, another one of the 4 causes of our dilemma.
- How can we change businesses, banks, and central banking policies to support the transition to an NEC?
- What governments can do to support these changes.
- The opportunities in terms of jobs created to craft the transition to an NEC.
- The misunderstanding around natural gas as a bridge fuel.
- The restoration of community connections in neighborhoods, having urban farms and restoring nature
- The 5 economies consisting of the Natural Economy which in turn encompasses the Social, Community, Market and Public economies.
- And much more…
- Guy Dauncey – Sociologist, Author, Futurist, Anthropological Economist and Organizer. Guy works to develop a positive vision of a beautiful, kind, sustainable future, to translate that vision into action, and to demonstrate it in his personal relationships. He lives in Yellow Point, near Ladysmith, British Columbia, Canada.
Dr. Peter Carter - MD, Expert IPCC Reviewer and the director of the Climate Emergency Institute
Paul Beckwith - Climate Systems Scientist. Professor at the University of Ottawa’s Paleoclimatology Laboratory as well as at Carleton University
Regina Valdez - Program Director, Climate Reality Project, NYC. GreenFaith Fellow and LEED Green Associate
Charles Gregoire – Climate Reality Leader, Electrical Engineer, Webmaster and IT prime for FacingFuture.Earth and the Climate Emergency Forum
Heidi Brault - Climate Reality Leader, BA(Psychology), Library & Information Technician Diploma - Video production and website assistant - Organizer and convener, Metadata technician, COP26 Team Lead for FacingFuture.Earth and the Climate Emergency Forum.
Image and Video: